CPD Event - Polypharmacy, inappropriate medications in the elderly and deprescribing (Bathurst)
|Date & Time:||
Wednesday, July 3, 2019 - 6:15pm-8:30pm
PHN Conference Room, Ochre Health Building, CSU Campus , Bathurst
Friday, June 28, 2019
Polypharmacy is often flagged as a concern for elderly people. Is it really a problem?
This session will provide an overview of the issues of polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medications in the elderly, aiming to equip attendees with the skills needed to identify medications which may be causing more harm than good in elderly patients.
Developing a rational and safe approach to deprescribing will be discussed, as well as some of the pitfalls and safety issues involved.
Presenter: Dr Phillip Butler, Staff Specialist Physician and Geriatrician - WNSW LHD
Target Audience: GPs and Registrars, Nurses, Psychologists and Allied Health Professionals and any interested health care provider.
- Recognise situations in which prescription of potentially inappropriate medications commonly arise
- Identify medications which may be causing more harm than good in an older patient
- Identify medications which may be of minimal meaningful benefit in an older patient
- Develop a rational approach to deprescribing, including consideration of the risks of ceasing certain medications
- Discuss deprescribing confidently with patients and their family members
For further information, please click HERE
Register for this Event Back