The Commonwealth-funded care finder program which commenced earlier this year has experienced steady growth. This program locates and supports older people who are unable to connect to aged care services or community.
As at 30 September 2023, care finders in our region:
- locate, on average, 28 eligible people monthly who agree to be supported,
- are currently supporting 124 clients to access services, and
- have referred 252 clients into aged care or community services to date.
One of the strengths of this program is that clients will receive high level check-ins for up to 2 years after the services or supports are put in place.
Eligibility for the care finder program is for older people who require intensive support to understand and access aged care, to interact with My Aged Care and access other supports in the community. The person would be eligible for aged care assistance under My Aged Care and one or more of the following would apply:
- living in isolation or not have a support person who has the capacity and willingness to support them to access aged care servcies via My Aged Care,
- has communication barriers i.e. limited literacy skills,
- difficulty processing information i.e. cognitive impairment,
- resistance to engage with aged care services and is at immediate risk or at risk of a crisis within approximately a year, and
- hesitation to engage with aged care institutions or government due to past experiences.
Care finder has some flexibility and discretion to accept people who are at high risk and may be slightly outside the guidelines. So, if you think your patient is at risk, it is worth talking to your local care finder.
To contact the provider in your local government area, refer to table and map below:
||Dubbo Regional, Gilgandra, Mid - Western Regional, Narromine and Warrumbungle Shire LGAs
|The Benevolent Society
||Cabonne, Forbes, Orange and Parkes LGAs
|Kirinari Community Services
||Balranald, Bogan, Bourke, Brewarrina, Broken Hill, Central Darling, Cobar, Coonamble, Lachlan, Walgett, Warren, Wentworth, Unincorporated Far West and the additional LGAs of Bathurst Regional, Blayney, Cowra, Oberon and Weddin LGAs
For more information about the program, contact your WNSW PHN Practice Development Officer or:
Integration Officer Care finders
0428 179 547